The closing ceremony may have been on Sunday, but the Olympics Fat Lady most certainly hadn’t sung until the “Congratulations Team New Zealand” party on the Monday. The party was hosted by Icebreaker, New Zealand Trade & Enterprise and Tourism New Zealand at Sciue café, downtown Vancouver. Some of the evening highlights included:
• Thunderous applause for the Kiwi Olympic athletes who took to the stage for bows and beers.
• Pavlovas and Steinlager behind the bar to bring a flavor of New Zealand, which surprised more than one islander.
• The Icebreaker “VIP” sale which rocked-the-flock, requiring bouncers to control traffic flow in and out of the store.
• Performances by Te Tini a Maui and Soul Paua which got everyone’s feet stomping and generated four encores!
• Icebreaker’s hero Ramotaur taking on the entire Australian contingent present – and winning!
The party ended with an unexpected haka lead by one of our guests. What a great way to close our own private ceremony. A rep from the NZ Olympic crew summed it up by saying “We have never had a party like this for the athletes before, at the end of the Olympics, this is absolutely amazing. Look how much fun the athletes are having!”. Well, they deserved it! And Icebreaker Canada was only too proud to be part of the family that made it all possible. Now the torch passes to our European colleagues for 2012 – see you in London!